Out with the old. In with the new.

For the first time in so many years, we are ringing the new year with a less cluttered home. Like most families, 2020 has been a hard year for us and we can’t wait to welcome 2021 with fresh start and renewed energies. We knew what we needed was a home where good vibes could freely flow. 

For years, we have been struggling with all the clutter around us. We tidy up every now and then, but with all the things that piled up, it became a herculean task. Chairs became extensions of our closets. We could only use half of our dinner table because the other half were filled with stuff. There were times we had to buy new things because we couldn’t find the existing ones we had (or we had already forgotten about it). 

My best time was at night when the faint glow of my salt lamp would hide the mess. I would put on relaxing music and pretend I live in a clutter-free environment. 

One of the things 2020 thought us is that we don’t think as much as we need to live. I, for one, didn’t buy much this year. 

When the contract in our apartment was about to expire, I began the search for a smaller apartment, so that way, we would be forced to de-clutter and save on our rent.

Giving up some of our things were very difficult. My mom loves her figurines and those were the things I gently convinced her to give up first. I started throwing out my old files, including my college and post-graduate papers. Then, we started sweeping our cabinets, closets and storage boxes, discarding of things we hadn't used in years.


It felt wasteful and there were times where it felt like we were throwing away parts of us. We formed so many bonds with material things and we became sentimental towards so many things.

However, we had to always go back to the reason we were doing this. For me, it was mainly to lessen stress. Physical clutter in your home has an impact on mental health. I needed less distractions. I needed to feel better about myself and I also needed more spaces where I could think. 

I would like to think that we are surrounded now with more items that sparks joy. 

In the documentary Minimalism, I was introduced to 333, a minimalist fashion challenge. They interviewed people who dressed with 33 or fewer items, including shoes, for 3 months. One of them said that all the items she keeps in her closets are all her favorites. 

While I put much thought about all the items in my closet, I must admit that I didn't find a lot of them to be flattering or appropriate. I remember all those times I could not find anything I could wear in my closet. When I shared our de-cluttering project to my former flat mate, she reminded me of the clothes I kept on my closet that still had its tags on. I'd been keeping a bad habit for years.

Marie Kondo, the decluttering guru, said that each possession has a place and you should know exactly where to find everything. This was good for me as I needed to save not just money, but also time.

With this new mindset, buying and collecting doesn’t feel as hard as before; well, maybe except plants and books. 

Hopefully I will become more mindful of my purchasing. No more purchasing items on a whim. No more souvenir shopping on my itinerary when I travel. 

We are far from being minimalist; just look at our storage room, under our bed and behind the doors. There are still a few but those I can live with, but we had a good start. We are slowly moving closer to a life full of simplicity and purpose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wonders of Skin Icing

Q3